Monday, June 10, 2013

The Blame Game









I have to start with a cute picture of my boy. : )









Have you ever thought how nice this world would be if only people treated others the way they would like to be treated?  You know, the whole do unto others thing.  Well, I have. . . a LOT.  Especially when others are not doing unto me as I would like. 

One of my biggest annoyances is when people blame things like their attitude or actions on other people or events?  It probably annoys me because I used to do it. . . ahem. . . still do it.

This morning is a perfect example.  I went to the local mail center to get 2 unrelated forms notarized.  One of the forms was to get out of jury duty due to being a full-time childcare provider (stay at home mom).  Well, I pull out the form and begin filling it out only to notice that it is a student form, and I am not a student.  UGH. That began my annoyance.  Why did they send me the wrong form?  It took me a while to get an actually person on the phone to request the form last time, and now I have to do it again.  GRRRRR. . .

Then I pulled out the other form to sign.  I signed it.  Good done!  Not quite.   Apparently I signed my license with K.L. DeGuido and not Kimberley DeGuido.   And since I signed the form once with the wrong name, I couldn't sign it again, which meant I had to get another form.  So I left there with a bad attitude.  Thankfully, I didn't say or do what I felt like to the lady trying to help me and refusing to notarize the form due to a matter of letters.  I am still K.L. DeGuido!  double GRRRR. . . 

I get home and called the automated system several times trying to figure out how to get a real person on the phone.  The guy who helped me was really nice and apologized several times.  After getting off the phone, I was convicted.  I had that letter for days and didn't bother to look at it before taking it to get notarized.  I could have checked my drivers license to see how I signed it before signing the second form.  These people were just doing their job.  Granted the first guy did mess up, but I have made mistakes when I was in a service position.  How would I have wanted them to respond to me then?  If I was the lady at the mail service center, how would I want to be treated for following the guidelines? 

All that to say, I was convicted that if I really truly believe in the Do Unto Others rule, then the only person I can start with is myself.  I can stop blaming people or circumstances for my attitude or actions.  I can't change other people, but I can choose how to respond.  I know that I am no where near perfect but I can at least try to be conscious of my thoughts and actions.  Of course, I get my strength and ability from the one who made up the Do Unto Others rule.  If am so thankful for the mercy and love He gives me, then I should be more merciful and loving to others.  

On a side note, that doesn't mean letting others run all over you.  Real love does involve confrontations.  But keep in mind how you would want someone to confront you.


                                                      Check out my handsome guys.  : )








No comments:

Post a Comment